Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Quick Max Update

Max is doing so much better lately! He no longer shakes very much. And he doesn't seem like he feels anymore pain, he doesn't whine. In fact, last week I was carrying in a large armload of laundry to the couch. I couldn't see the floor in front of me and I tripped right over Max. I landed right on top of his back. I expected him to yelp, and be hurt again. But he just looked at me like he was wondering why I was on top of him.

He is getting pretty good at stairs again. And sometimes he runs up them. But other times, as he is running up them, he trips on his own legs and falls sideways a bit. So I do think there is some damage done somehow. But Max doesn't seem to notice at all. Another difference I notice since his injury is he will get on the furniture much less often. He used to bound up onto the couch or recliner very easily. But now if he gets up at all, it is with help from one of us, or he carefully climbs rather than bounding up in a single jump.

Since Max is pretty close to normal now, he is as annoying as ever. He loves to vocalize his opinions to us and to Chloe both inside and outside the house. He likes to say "Hi! I'm here!" to our neighbors over and over. And he likes to stand at the sliding glass door and let us know he wants it opened. I'm pretty sure he thinks he is in charge.

He has discovered a new favorite toy recently. He loves to play with empty water bottles. I think he thinks they are an interactive toy. Since as he plays with them they crackle and make all kinds of noise. Don't even try to drink a water bottle around him. He will jump up and down in front of you expecting you to throw it to him. He is not patient enough to wait for us to finish our drink first. Max and Chloe had a special treat courtsey of my grandson Gabriel a few days ago. Gabriel took them in the back yard and for some reason squirted chocolate syrup all over both of them. He used quite a bit of the bottle before he got caught and stopped. But Max and Chloe didn't seem to mind.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to get a good picture of your dogs? As soon as I get the camera up, they have to run right to my feet so they can see what I have. It makes it hard to get a good shot!

Tracy Beckett said...

They are so cute! I hope Max is doing okay--the chocolate syrup story is hilarious! It was so fun to see you at the reunion--I put a cute picture of you and Sondra on my facebook. I should send it to you on e-mail...

Traci said...

give your dogs a rub from me! glad to hear max is doing better!
they are cute dogs!!!
so did you have to bath them after their chocolate bath or did they just lick it clean off?

Katrina said...

No, They still need a bath. So far they have only licked each other clean. In the picture with both dogs, you can see a brown spot on her face. It is actually chocolate.

erika said...

Glad he is feeling better.