Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wheat, and other things...


I had an interesting conversation this last Sunday in my Sunday School class. There were some of the men that mentioned that they want to learn how to cook with their food storage. One thing they want to learn is to make bread from wheat. I thought I'd talk to the lady in our ward that is called to help us with our food storage and see if she can set that up.

Have any of you made bread from wheat? I have made bread before, but not from my own ground wheat. I'd like to learn to do that. But I guess first I have to get a wheat grinder. And some wheat would be a good idea too.

Do any of you have a manual wheat grinder? Does it work well? Which one do I buy? I imagine that they might be hard to use if you have wimpy arms like I do. Is that true?

I remember when mom used to make cracked wheat cereal and whole wheat cereal. Mmmm. I loved that. Here is a website I came across while looking into using wheat. It has ideas about how to use it everyday in more than just bread. Wheat-More Than Just Bread

This next website isn't exactly on the subject of just wheat. I came across this while I was snooping around on the internet. It is about cooking with your long term food storage. I thought it had some great ideas for what to store, and ways to use it too. It even has recipes. Cooking from Long Term Food Storage

One final thing. Here is a link where you can find a nice new updated list of foods at our local dry pack cannery. LDS.org Longer Term Storage On the side of the page there is a place to click on that says "New Home Storage Center Order Form.


I guess that is enough rambling on this. Let's keep working on what we can with food and water storage now while we have plenty.

9 comments:

MikeG Family said...

Thanks for sharing these websites -I'm excited to go look around and see what I can learn. I bought some wheat about a year ago, but don't have a grinder yet, either, and aren't quite sure what I'd do with this wheat if I ever need to use it. These websites look like they'll be pretty helpful in that department!

YbsisKaren said...

I always wondered if people who were told to store wheat knew how to use it. Thanks for the time you are taking to look into it for you and your people.

Karmen said...

What a coincidence...I just went to an Enrichment the other night titled, "how to use your food storage wheat"! She made wheat bread so quickly, beautifully and deliciously using her Bosch Magic Mill. I don't have one, but it was awesome. It grinds the wheat into flour; mixes the dough, and even does all the kneading. Maybe you could look on ebay for one.
We also made delicious blender wheat pancakes. She just threw the dried whole wheat kernals into the blender and added a few ingredients. And my favorite thing...she made some delicious granola with her whole wheat flour, oats, honey and other ingredients and keeps it in an old ice cream bucket and they eat it all the time. It was soooo good! If you want any of these recipes, let me know!

Unknown said...

Hey Katrina, that is all we eat. I make 4-5 batches every two weeks and then freeze it. I have a wheat grinder that I spent 150 on. I can't crack the wheat though but it makes flour which is all I need right now. It is really quite easy to do. Let me know if have any questions, and maybe I can help. It really is the best bread. I grew up on it.100% whole wheat.

Katrina said...

Karmen and Dione, I'd love to have your recipes if I can. Dione. I think it is great you make your own wheat bread and that is all you use. You are an inspiration to me. I have to try it now.

Sondra said...

Kat, I have a few homeschool mom friends who only make bread from their own wheat that they grind. They have the nice electric grinders. I know that they won't do much good if there is no power, but it would be nice to have both.

Sondra said...

PS you're wonderful and I'm glad you're keeping us on our toes.

Katrina said...

Okay, you ladies have convinced me to get both an electric grinder, and a hand grinder for emergencies. Maybe I will ask Bryan to get me one for mother's day.

val said...

I remember my mom making that cracked wheat cereal too when we were young! I need to figure out how to use it too, and there is lots of good info on here, thanks!