Friday, November 16, 2007

Flutes

I am teaching myself to play the flute. My husband gave it to me for my birthday this last year. I’m not very good. I have a tendency to try to play by ear. But I really want to learn the notes. So I have been trying to concentrate on how to do that better. I am getting better, slowly. I thought I’d be embarrassed to play my flute in front of my family, but I have gotten over that. In fact, I will even play when my kids have friends over. My family hears me making mistakes, and sounding wrong quite often. I don’t think I drive them too crazy yet, or at least they haven’t told me that I do. And my husband says he thinks it’s relaxing for him to listen to me practice. Although I think he may have been telling me a little white lie.




I like flutes very much. There are many different types of flutes with different sounds and different sizes. I have a very pretty flute. I think it is a C Concert flute. That means it starts at middle C and goes for 3 octaves. But I only know about the first 1 1/2octaves.


I finally bought the large print spiral bound book of church hymns. I am teaching myself to play some of the hymns in it. I am currently working on “The Spirit of God” that is on page 2. I love that song, and it is kind of fun to play because it goes all over the range of notes that I know how to play. I have learned how to play the song that my Great Great Great Grandfather wrote called "High on a Mountain Top". It's pretty cool to play something that your ancestor wrote.


This flute is very much like my flute.

I have a new plan to help me enjoy Christmas this year and to keep more of Christ in it. The other night, I had a list of stuff I should have been doing. I was starting to get a bit overwhelmed by all I was supposed to do. So instead of doing any of it, I skipped it all and played my flute for about an hour or so. I found the Christmas hymns in my new music book and started learning them. I think it will be a nice way to relax, a nice way to bring more Christ into Christmas, and a way to improve on something I really want to learn. It was fun. I am still overwhelmed with too much to do, but at least I enjoyed the other night’s flute playing

5 comments:

Sondra said...

I'm sorry that you're overwhelmed, but I think that was a great idea about just playing nice songs. I hope you can keep some peace for yourself this season and I love you.

Traci said...

I had not idea you had a flute. That is awesome and your teaching yourself to play it too!!
Maybe since you are learning some Christmas songs, you could play them at the family Christmas party??? For everyone to enjoy.

Kris said...

I'm so glad Bryan got you flute and that you are learning to play. I think music is a very important party of life and it's wonderful when you get to create music of your own.

Katrina said...

Traci, I sure will not be ready this year to play Christmas hymns for our family party. But maybe next year. I'm not even close to being able to play for people yet. My sweet neighbor is the music director for our ward. She keeps saying that she is going to have me play in church while people sing. But I can't play a whole song with all the verses without making mistakes. Sometimes I miss notes and I run out of breath. I also forget what note is what. But one day I will be really good! It may be in the next life.

YbsisKaren said...

Thank goodness God made people who make up the audiences because some of us can't even play the radio let alone a musical instrument. Good luck Katrina. I know the flute is a beautiful sounding instrument and you will make some beautiful music in due time.